The Women’s Rural Resource Centre of Strathroy and Area (WRRC) is a non-profit agency whose mandate is to support women and children whose lives have been affected by woman abuse. We provide counselling, transition support, residential services, public education, advocacy, and second stage housing.
WRRC is seeking a strong woman-centred Casual Residential Support staff for a casual opportunity.
Summary: Working on a casual basis, the Casual Residential Support staff will be accountable to ensure a physically and psychosocially safe shelter environment for women and children who have experienced abuse.
Reporting Relationship: This position reports to the Manager of Operations.
- Ensure a physically safe environment by monitoring security cameras, conducting regular security checks, completing risk assessments, reviewing safety procedures, managing community living, assessing and addressing safety concerns
- Ensure a psychologically safe environment for residents by being respectfully accessible to women, ensuring confidentiality of information in accordance with agency policies, addressing and resolving emotionally unsafe situations in a women-centred manner
- Enhance women’s capacity to make informed choices by working with women accessing WRRC services (Shelter, Help-Line, or walk-in) through active listening and identifying strengths and options. This will involve completion of safety, risk and needs assessments with women, developing safety plans, offering information and referrals, providing advocacy, assessing appropriateness for shelter stay and/or developing a plan for next steps
- Document interactions in accordance with agency policy, procedures and practices.
- Determine the nature of needs identified by women and children accessing WRRC shelter services.
- As an integral member of the Residential Team, provide woman-centred services aligned with the plan of care as determined by the Team and the woman; providing service for resident children in accordance with plans developed by the Children’s Advocate, assisting with the evaluation of progress towards goals; by making suggestions and sharing observations with the Team or Children’s Advocate and documenting service provided
- Managing the shelter environment and facilitating the flow of service provision in shelter services.
Superior communication and listening skills
Superior conflict resolution skills
Superior assessment skills
Superior crisis intervention skills
Demonstrated organizational and multi-tasking skills
Demonstrated customer service skills
Good working knowledge of computer office technology and applications
Clear current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team with minimal supervision
- CPR, First Aid, therapeutic crisis intervention program
- Social Service Worker Diploma preferred; or equivalent relevant post secondary education and experience; minimum of 2-5 years of related work experience
- Employment and/or volunteer experience with women and children in a shelter setting an asset
This position will require working in a secured shelter setting to provide on-going emotional support and advocacy to women, youth, and children who have experienced woman abuse
Ability to lift 25 lbs
Hours of Work:
This position may require variable day, evening, night, and/or weekend hours. As this position is available on a casual basis, this position has no guaranteed hours and requires availability and accessibility on a call-in basis.
Number of Openings: 2 - 3
Closing Date: Friday, April 10th, 2017 at 4pm
Submit Application to:
Mail: 145 Beech Street, Strathroy, ON N7G 1K9
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.*